Sr. Manager, New York Government Affairs
JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one US-based vapor product. Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments and Tao Invest LLC, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the world’s largest and oldest industries.
We’re an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare, CPG and biotech, and we’re growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. We’re actively looking to hire the world’s best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service and business professionals.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the direction of the Senior Director, Public Affairs, the Senior Manager, New York Government Affairs will be responsible for identifying key New York state and local issues affecting company interests and helping the company formulate and advocate for its positions on those issues.
- Establish and maintain relationships with key elected and appointed officials in the executive and legislative branches of state government, as well as with state public health officials.
- Identify state and local legislative, regulatory and policy proposals impacting the marketing and selling of the company’s products; analyze the impact of those proposals on the company’s business; develop policy recommendations to address those proposals; design appropriate strategies to achieve the desired outcomes; and implement strategies through a combination of direct lobbying and legislative coalition-building.
- Work closely with Senior Director, Public Affairs and Senior Director, State Affairs to keep upper management apprised of all legislative or regulatory issues impacting the company.
- Work closely with trade groups, coalitions and advocates to advance the company’s agenda
- Position the company as a leading solution to ending smoking and serve as a valuable resource with elected officials, advocacy groups, public health advocates and appropriate business organizations that have a role in the development of policies impacting the company.
- Assist with managing contract lobbyists
- Work with internal partners, including scientific affairs, community relations, communications and strategic finance on key issues.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- 5+ years of experience in biotech, pharmaceutical, health care or government policy industry with specific experience at the New York state level.
- Ability to analyze and interpret legislation, recommend corrective action, including drafting legislation will be required.
- Willingness to register as a lobbyist with state governments required.
- Knowledge of public policy and familiarity with state legislative and regulatory process required.
- Excellent analytical skills and strong strategic planning abilities are essential.
- Strong negotiation skills and an ability to work with a broad and diverse set of stakeholders, particularly public officials, is necessary.
- Excellent communication skills; specifically, a proven ability to interact with legislators, their staff and regulatory agency officials.
- Existing relationships with business organizations, advocacy groups, policy makers that influence public health policy will be a plus.
- Candidates must have a demonstrated adaptability, innovative thinking, ability to deal with ambiguity and a strong sense of teamwork.
- Regional travel and attendance at state and local conventions and relevant events is required.
- High level of integrity and ethics is critical.
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- Work in the state of New York
JUUL Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment for all employees and job applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. JUUL Labs also complies with the employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for JUUL Labs in the US.
Vapor, JUUL, Work Culture, Fast Paced, Start-up, Growth, Vape, Technology, Software, Hardware, Consumer Electronics, Manufacturing, Design, Product, Disruptive, Revolutionary, Cutting Edge, App, Android, eCommerce, B2C, San Francisco, Bay Area, IoT, San Jose, Los Angeles